Our biggest little man is officially, 100% nappy-free (insert mummy doing cartwheels here!!!!)
Christian’s been toilet trained since he was just over 2 but I hadn’t yet done the nighttime training. I had actually completely forgotten about it. Our bedtime routine had been plodding along so nicely that it really didn’t occur to me to change anything until one morning I noticed his nappy was more dry than usual. It was then that I thought I should probably night-train him 💡🤔
It’s been a couple of months now and we are totally done with nappies for him! Here’s what we did:
- I started immediately from when I noticed his nappy was pretty dry upon waking in the morning.
- That night before bed I told him he is a big boy now so I’m not putting a nappy on him. And if he needs to wee during the night he has to get up and go to the toilet.
- I made sure this was a conversation and he acknowledged that he understood.
- Throughout the night, I woke up a couple of times and whispered the same thing in his ear – “You’re a big boy. You’re not wearing a nappy. If you need to wee you have to get up and go to the toilet”.
- I did this for the next few nights and he only had a couple of accidents in that first week but he also woke up to go to the toilet plenty of times too!
In the past, I’ve typically conducted a fair bit of research and consulted other mums about what technique they used for whatever milestone it was we were trying to reach but this time I didn’t do any of that and instead, followed good ol’ motherly instincts and following the cues of my LO.
I’m pretty sure the conversation/whisper combo helped but there probably would’ve been a lot more accidents if Christian hadn’t been ready in the first place.
Everything has it’s time.
I’d love to know if anyone tries the technique and whether it works for you too!